**This post is dedicated to a Miss Nip Glit who told me to get my butt posting**
The weather is changing and fall is coming upon us, so that means fall flavored cupcakes! I debated over pumpkin, apple, and wait for it…sweet potato and decided to go with the the pumpkin cupcakes. Super excited to do pumpkin cupcakes with cinnamon cream cheese frosting, I headed to the store to pick up a few ingredients. Well, there was no pumpkin anywhere to be found! So sad! After some research I found out that there’s another pumpkin shortage this year (last year the crop got flooded out) because so many pumpkins were destroyed by Irene. First that biotch ruined my Sunday dinner when we lost electricity and now she’s messing up my cupcakes!
On to plan B…apple cupcakes! Last year it was the caramel apple cupcakes and this year I went with apple pie a la mode. When I was looking for the canned pumpkin, I saw some apple pie filling and decided to just go with it. A spiced apple cake with apple pie filling and vanilla bean frosting? Yes please!
I looked at tons of recipes to try to put this one together but there wasn’t a great spiced cake recipe to go off of so I pretty much had to work on the fly while I was making them and just make up the recipe. It worked surprisingly well and I’d use it again for the base of another spiced cupcake.
I have to admit that I didn’t actually try the finished product but I did try the cake part and it was light, moist, and delicious. And considering they were topped with my favorite frosting, how bad could they be??
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- 1/2 tsp. allspice
- 1 can apple pie filling (divided in half and chopped into small pieces)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cupcake tin with 12 liners.
- Beat butter until smooth and add sugar. Beat until light and fluffy and mix in vanilla extract.
- Beat in eggs one at a time. In a separate bowl, whisk together all remaining dry ingredients.
- Add in half of the flour mixture to the butter and sugar mixing until incorporated, then add in half of the water.
- Mix in remaining flour mixture and then water until just incorporated.
- Fold in half of the apple pie filling to the batter and fill 12 cupcake liners evenly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.