What better way to suck up…ahem…I mean make friends with your new coworkers than to bring in cupcakes? When I was interviewing for my job, they asked about what I like to do in my free time. So I thought this was the perfect time to tell them about my cupcakes, especially since it was something different than the standard reading, travel, whatever answers. But since I bragged about making all of these cupcakes, I had to follow through and bring them in some.
The perfect opportunity arose since one of my coworkers was leaving to move to Washington state. I just had to decide what kind of cupcakes would be good to make her. After browsing around Pinterest and asking a few people, a classic carrot cake was settled on. How can you not like carrot cake with cream cheese frosting? It’s a great combination and I could make the cupcakes a day or two ahead of time because these ones always stay moist. And the best part about this recipe was that I did the whole thing in my food processor which made for easy clean up!
[Inspired by Martha Stewart]
- 5 medium carrots, washed with ends cut off
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cups sugar
- 3/4 cups vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp.baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground all spice
- 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake tin with 12 liners
- Cut carrots into thirds and process in food processor until finely grated
- Add eggs and sugar to the carrots and pulse until just combined.
- Slowly stream in oil into the food processor until combined with the carrot and sugar mixture
- Add in baking soda, baking powder, salt, and 1/2 of the flour and pulse to combine
- Pour in 1/2 the milk and pulse to combine, scraping down the edges as needed
- Add in spices and remaining flour and pulse to just combine
- Pour in remaining milk and combine until just smooth
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 23-27 minutes. Cool before frosting
- 1 stick of butter at room temperature
- 8 oz. of 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Mix together butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer
- Add in powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, scraping down the bowl as needed
- Mix in vanilla extract until smooth
My first cupcakes for my new coworkers got great reviews! These are super simple to make but everyone seems to be impressed with my baking skills when I make them. They’re super moist and the sweet cream cheese frosting is a great compliment. And they couldn’t have been easier since I pretty much just did it all in my food processor. I love recipes that are easy to clean up!
The only problem was that I brought them in and they put them out before lunch so I was on a sugar high before I had any real lunch food in me. People were bouncing off the walls with eating lots of sugar. But I’m totally okay with that, it definitely makes for an interesting work day!