I’m a little late here trying to play catch up with my cupcakes but this is just in time for Thanksgiving! My work has this awesome thing called Pumpkinfest where everyone brings in some kind of pumpkin food. It can be sweet or savory and lots of people get to try all of the pumpkin deliciousness. I thought this would be a great opportunity to show off my cupcake skills but I knew it couldn’t just be a regular pumpkin cupcake. So I decided to take a standard pumpkin cupcake recipe and give it a little zing! There’s just enough bourbon in these mini cupcakes to give it that something extra.
The unfortunate thing was that I completely forgot the cupcakes at home that morning so I didn’t get to take part in Pumpkinfest. So sad! I did bring them in the next day though for all to enjoy.
[Inspired by Martha Stewart]
Makes about 75 mini cupcakes
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tsp. baking soda
- 1 Tsp. baking powder
- 1 Tsp. salt
- 2 Tsp. cinnamon
- 1 Tsp. ginger
- 1/2 Tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 Tsp. allspice
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 sticks butter (melted and cooled)
- 4 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1- 15 oz. can of pumpkin puree
- 1 nip bourbon of your choice (I used Red Stag honey bourbon)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper liners
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice
- In a large bowl, whisk together, brown sugar , granulated sugar , butter, eggs, and bourbon
- Add dry ingredients, and whisk until smooth.
- Fold in pumpkin puree
- Divide batter evenly among liners, filling each about halfway. It’s easiest to do this with the mini cupcakes if fill up a ziplock bag with the batter, cut off a corner, and use it to fill the cupcakes
- Bake 10-12 minutes until the tops spring back when touched and a toothpick comes out clean
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 5 egg whites
- 4 sticks of butter at room temperature
- Bourbon to taste (I used about 3 Tbsp. of Red Stag cinnamon spice bourbon)
- Place sugar and egg whites in the heat-proof bowl of an electric mixer. Set bowl over a pan of gently simmering water, and whisk until sugar has dissolved and egg whites are hot to the touch, about 3 minutes. Test by rubbing the mixture between your fingers; it should feel completely smooth.
- Transfer bowl to mixer stand. Using the whisk attachment, beat on high speed until mixture has cooled completely and formed stiff and glossy peaks, about 10 minutes.
- Add the butter, one piece at a time, and beat until incorporated after each addition. Don’t worry if the buttercream appears curdled after all the butter has been added; it will become smooth again with continued beating. Add vanilla and bourbon, and beat just until combined.
- Switch to the paddle attachment, and beat on the lowest speed to eliminate any air pockets, about 5 minutes.
My pictures are a little blurry because I was trying to be all artsy putting the little cupcakes on a pumpkin. But these little cupcakes were a hit. They had just enough bourbon taste to give it a little something extra and the frosting was different than the typical cream cheese frosting that’s usually on a pumpkin cupcake. And the best part about them is that since they’re mini, it gives you an excuse to eat at least 4 cupcakes to make up for the fact that they’re so small!